Sunday, September 27, 2009

Potty Problems: Potty Train 3 Year Old


Need advice on how to potty train a 3 year old? Worried that you might just have missed the bus to potty training land? Wondering where you went wrong and if it is still possible to potty train your child at three?

My own toddler was still screaming “I hate the potty!” at three when I finally decided that I had had enough. By then I was also busy taking care of my one-year-old daughter and was completely in over my head with all the dirty diapers. So, despite the crying and pleading (which can get touching at times, I must admit), I had to take away the security diapers.

Surprisingly, my son didn’t take it as badly as I thought he would. A couple of days after our initial “potty talk”, the tears and tantrums started to lessen. Here are some tips I found helpful in weaning my child from the diapers he had grown accustomed to.

1. Make a ceremony out of it.

The day you throw out all the nappies in the house, make sure your child is there to watch. Make a show out of it, telling him that he is no longer a baby but a “big boy” now and therefore doesn’t need nappies. Ask your husband to join in too.

2. Take your child shopping.

Bring your child along when you shop for underpants. For daughters, make it into a “mum and me” sort of event. Ask them to pick out the designs they like. For sons, ask their dad to accompany them. This will make your little boy feel like he’s undergoing some important rite of passage – with daddy backing him up.

3. Invest in a child-friendly potty.

A lot of kids are afraid of the toilet because they might fall in. Buy a child-sized potty to alleviate this fear. However, don’t forget to expose them to the bathroom and the normal-sized toilet too. They’ll need to get used to it in the future.

Always make sure to offer encouragement and support to potty train your 3 year old. There will be accidents. Just show them what you would like them to do without making them feel bad about it. And make sure to always offer praise every time they do what they are supposed to do.

Read on for more great and helpful ideas on how to potty train your 3 year old. Feel free to use this great resource for more information about helping potty train 3 year old kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment